Sunday, February 6, 2011

Friday's Opportunity

On Friday, I found that the opportunity we were given to experience a day without talking was extremely difficult but not impossible. I had difficulties trying to have a conversation with my friends or with a teacher in class. One of the most difficult times was at lunch and no one at the table could talk. We were all drawing on white boards and no one could understand. It was also extremely difficult when someone who was not a part of the experiment was trying to figure out what I was doing. It was easy to explain that I was unable to talk because of an assignment, but it was very difficult to explain why we had the assignment. They understood that I could not talk but they were not understanding why. I learned that when you have to communicate in a different way than others around you it can be very hard but it is possible. It is hard to get the other person to understand completely what you are trying to say. The way that we communicate with each other affects if the message is understood or not.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you brought up lunch. I could see the frustration brewing through your drawing as you could not communicate outside the white board. When you talked about other people trying to "understand completely" I liked how you indirectly said that people at times understood partially. Nice picture to, it adds a lot of flavor to the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with you that it was difficult but not impossible and that the way we communicate definetly affects the message.

    ReplyDelete